Friday, December 5, 2008

Grace and a Southern Version of the 10 Commandments

From my favorite devotional, "Strength For the Journey" by Joe Stowell. Paul in Romans says that as Christians our lives should be marked by “reliable grace” toward others.

What do we mean by reliable grace? I’m glad you asked. Here’s a definition: “Reliable grace is the predictable action of abundant kindness, regardless. . . even to the most undeserving offender.” It means that people can count on you to pour out grace—active, predictable kindness—into their lives. It is unconditional and available even to the most undeserving of offenders. Anybody have an undeserving offender in your life? More than a bumper sticker, more than a fish or a cross on your car, more than a T-shirt or a WWJD bracelet, we demonstrate our loyalty to Jesus by extending His reliable grace to others.


My life has been filled by the grace of God and of others. I can only hope that I too can respond to others with God's grace.

On a lighter, sillier note: I wanted to share with you this version of the 10 Commandments. I am going to print this and post it by my front door! It is priceless!

Ten Commandments

Some people have trouble with all those 'shall's' and 'shall not's' in the Ten Commandments. So, in middle Tennessee they translated the 'King James' into ' Jackson County ' language..... no joke, (posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Gainesboro, TN)

(1) Just one God
(2) Put nothin' before God
(3) Watch yer mouth
(4) Git yourself to Sunday meetin'
(5) Honor yer Ma & Pa
(6) No killin'
(7) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal
(8) Don't take what ain't yers
(9) No tellin' tales or gossipin'
(10)Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff


Now that's plain an' simple. Y 'all have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will review it shortly and then post it. I appreciate your comments and your interest in my blog. Please identify yourself so I can reply!
Hugs,
Kathy

About Me

My photo
Pennsylvania, United States
Christian Mother, wife, & nurse. Love to read and love mentoring teenagers.

Visitors

My counter stats